I've been meaning to move my blog(s) away from Posterous, due to its UI problems and ridiculously-slow page loads. I finally did it with the help of Calepin, which itself has a bunch of problems. These are forgivable since it's a Beta product:
- The presentation is way too simple/plain, and doesn't provide a way to customise it.
- I spent hours struggling with Dropbox login integration, where I often had to go to Chrome's Incognito mode, and at some point, had to delete my Dropbox account as well, just to get it to work.
- It seems crazy that each time I want to publish I have to visit the web page to hit Publish, when Calepin should simply monitor the Dropbox account.
- The blog is unreachable whenever I publish. This isn't such a big deal of course, but c'mon.
- When hitting Publish, it takes way too long (several seconds) before the page is rendered on the blog.
- ...and am sure there will be more as time goes (proven by the fact that this list kept growing as I typed this post)
Despite all these problems, it will have to do for now, until I find another host, and maybe this time I will have to spend some cash.
In the interest of balance, here's what attracted me.